Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Hard Candy, Anyone?

So I just finished watching Hard Candy. The basic plot of the film is that a 14-year-old girl traps a pedophile and turns him around until he takes his own life. It stars Ellen Page (of Nova Scotia, Canada w00t!) who is now staring in Juno, which may prove to be the best movie of all time. Those of you less interested in indie films will also recognize her from the X-men franchise. 

I'm not the first to say this, but that girl is scary good as an actress and, at age 20, has none of the BS issues that surround her peer group of "actresses". I will be patronizing her films for a long time coming I think. 

Hard Candy itself will be burned into my brain for a long time. How warped it makes you feel, pitying the pedophile, cheering on the girl, cheering on the pedophile, disapproving of what she does, approving of what she does... and on and on. Around and around until you are emotionally spent. 

Ugh. 

No comments: